[复制链接]
31#
 楼主| 发表于 30.10.2010 22:20:28 | 只看该作者

stay out (of something)

中文解释
1. 让出东西或地方
2.置身事外
英文解释
1. Lit. to keep out of something or some place.
2. Fig. to remain uninvolved in some piece of business.

eg:
1. Stay out of here! Please stay out until we are ready.
I decided to stay out of it and let someone else handle it.
My help wasn't needed there, so I just stayed out.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

32#
 楼主| 发表于 31.10.2010 23:42:35 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 mirandawang 于 31.10.2010 23:43 编辑

get/grate on somebody's nerves  

中文解释:惹人厌烦
英文解释:to annoy someone, especially by doing something again and again
eg:
If we spend too much time together, we end up getting on each other's nerves.
The telephone hadn't stopped ringing all morning and it was starting to grate on my nerves.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

33#
 楼主| 发表于 1.11.2010 22:28:42 | 只看该作者

hold water

中文解释:vi. 按字面解释当然可以说是“不让水漏出来”。但是,它的另外一个意思是指某一个人找的借口、提出的理由、或说的话是确实的,站得住脚的。
英文解释:When you say that something does or does not 'hold water', it means that the point of view or argument put forward is or is not sound, strong or logical.

eg:
1.   Several of his suggestions about changes in the government simply don't hold water.
他有关政府改革的意见中有几条简直是站不住脚的。  

2.   Miller is a dishonest person.His words can't hold water.
米勒是个不诚实的人,他的话经不起验证。  

3.   Prohibition may be a dispute theory, but none can complain that it do not hold water.
禁酒法可能是一则有待商榷的理论,但谁也不能埋怨它有漏洞(说不通)。  

4.   His opinion doesn't hold water.
他的说法站不住。

评分

查看全部评分

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

34#
发表于 2.11.2010 12:32:08 | 只看该作者
这帖太好了,很有收益,谢谢LZ!!!
望LZ再接再厉!!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

35#
 楼主| 发表于 2.11.2010 22:37:46 | 只看该作者

bury one's head in the sand/ hide one's head in the sand/ have one's head in the sand

中文解释:逃避现实
英文解释:Refuse to confront or acknowledge a problem.
来源:This comes from the supposed habit of ostriches hiding when faced with attack by predators. The story was first recorded by the Roman writer Pliny the Elder, who suggested that ostriches hide their heads in bushes. Ostriches don't hide, either in bushes or sand, although they do sometimes lie on the ground to make themselves inconspicuous. The 'burying their head in the sand' myth is likely to have originated from people observing them lowering their heads when feeding.
The story also relies on the supposed stupidity of ostriches, and of birds in general. In fact, there's little to support that either as birds have a significantly larger brain to weight ratio than many other species of animal. The notion is that the supposedly dumb ostrich believes that if it can't see its attacker then the attacker can't see it. This was nicely reformed as a joke on Douglas Adams' 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', in which the 'Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal' was described as 'so mind-bogglingly stupid that it assumes that if you can't see it, then it can't see you.'

eg

For years we have been hiding our heads in the sand, refusing to admit that the store is losing money.

When it comes to a family quarrel, Dean just buries his head in the sand.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

36#
 楼主| 发表于 3.11.2010 12:19:13 | 只看该作者
To head (someone/sth) off (at the pass)

中文解释阻止, 拦截
英文解释:to intercept and divert someone or something
eg
1.摘自:英国《金融时报》---Inflation  may  play  lead  role in renminbi appreciation

As politicians move to head off a global “currency war”, few questions loom larger than the extent to which China will allow its currency to strengthen against the US dollar.
随着各国政界人士采取行动,阻止全球“汇率战争”的爆发,目前最突出的问题莫过于,中国将允许人民币对美元升值到何种程度。
2. 在Gossip Girl S4E7中
Rufus说了一句I‘m gonna head off.类似于I have to go.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

37#
 楼主| 发表于 5.11.2010 12:42:07 | 只看该作者

behind bars

中文解释:关在监牢里
英文解释:In prison/in jail. It based on the literal bars used to build a prison.The bars here refer to the iron rods used to confine prisoners.
eg: All murderers should be put behind bars for life.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

38#
 楼主| 发表于 5.11.2010 12:47:08 | 只看该作者

to hit the ceiling

中文解释:生气,大发雷霆。hit就是“碰撞,打击”。Ceiling就是“屋顶”。To hit the ceiling,顾名思义就是“撞到了屋顶”。作为俗语,它的意思就是:一个人生气得暴跳如雷,甚至都撞到了屋顶。这个说法具有一般成语和俗语的特点,也就是夸大。但是,也正是由于这一特点使得成语和俗语变得很生动,有时还带有幽默的色彩。
英文解释:to become very angry and start shouting
eg:
My dad'll hit the roof when he finds out that I wrecked his car.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

39#
 楼主| 发表于 6.11.2010 21:47:21 | 只看该作者

Every dog has its day./Every dog has his day.

中文解释每个人总会有实现自己愿望的一天。
英文解释something that you say which means that everyone is successful during some period in their life.  Everyone gets a chance eventually.
来源According to the medieval Dutch scholar Erasmus, the saying came about as a result of the death of the Greek playwright Euripides, who in 405 B.C. was mauled and killed by a pack of dogs loosed upon him by a rival. Thus the saying is usually taken to mean that even the most lowly person will at some time get revenge on his oppressor, no matter how powerful the man may be. The Greek biographer Plutarch recorded the proverb for the first time in 'Moralia' (A.D. c. 95) rendering it as 'Even a dog gets his revenge,' and Richard Taverner included the first version in English - 'A dogge hath a day' - centuries later in his 'Proverbes' or Adages' .What was virtually the modern form appeared in John Ray's 'A collection of English Proverbs' as 'Every dog hath his day'."
eg:
He'll get that promotion eventually. Every dog has its day.

评分

查看全部评分

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

40#
 楼主| 发表于 8.11.2010 19:55:49 | 只看该作者

have butterflies in one's stomach

中文解释:从字面上来解释就是,一个人的胃里有蝴蝶。可是,这个说法的真正意思是一种持续不断的恐惧、紧张或忧虑的心情,和中文里说的“心里感到七上八下”很相似。
英文解释:to feel very nervous, usually about something you are going to do
egWhenever I have to speak in public, I get butterflies in my stomach.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

站点信息

站点统计| 举报| Archiver| 手机版| 小黑屋